The Montgomery County Department of Health and Human Services (MCHHS) has authorized a limited re-opening of outdoor pool facilities. In accordance with this directive, Palisades will open for lap swimming on Saturday, June 20 by reservation only. As a private swim club, we are obligated to follow directives issued by Governor Larry Hogan, the Maryland Department of Health, and the MCHHS. Palisades will be, at all times, in compliance with appropriate directives from our governing authorities. As this guidance changes, Palisades will adjust operations accordingly and reserves the right to close its facilities as necessary.
What are the rules for lap swimming?
Here are the current rules for lap swimming, subject to change based on MCHHS directives and guidance:
- Lap swimming is by reservation only and all reservations must be made through the reservation system on the Palisades web site. By making a reservation, members are agreeing to the Palisades Pledge (see below).
- One swimmer per lane, absolutely no exceptions (per MCHHS).
- Only lap swimmers who are members with reservations are allowed on the pool premises.
- Lap swimmers will be required to check-in at the front desk before entering Palisades.
- No walk-ups or guests will be permitted.
- Members must be at least 12 years of age to reserve a lap lane.
- Lap swimmers must “dip in, dip out.” Swimmers must exit the pool and premises as soon as their designated time slot is up.
- No loitering on the pool deck.
- Members may not swap time slots.
- Members must wear face masks at all times when not swimming.
- Members must maintain the CDC guidelines of at least 6 feet from other members and pool staff for healthy physical distancing at all times.
All members must agree to, and abide by, the Palisades Pledge:
- I agree to use the facility at my own risk.
- I will not visit the pool if I feel sick or have exhibited symptoms of COVID-19 in the past 14 days.
- I will be respectful of Palisades staff and follow their guidance and direction. I will be respectful of other members.
- I will practice social distancing while at the pool, both in the water, on the deck, and on pool grounds, consistent with CDC guidelines. I will wear a mask while at Palisades except when I am in the water.
- I will shower before visiting the pool and leave the Palisades facility and parking lot promptly at the end of my pool time.
- I will not reserve more than one lane per day
- I will respect and follow the guidelines and understand and agree that any violation of these directives may re0.sult in loss of membership.
- By entering and using the Palisades facilities, I acknowledge the contagious nature of COVID-19 and voluntarily assume the risk that my child(ren) and I may be exposed to or infected by COVID-19 and I understand that the risk of becoming exposed to or infected by COVID-19 at Palisades may result from the actions, omissions, or negligence of myself and others. I voluntarily agree to assume these risks and accept sole responsibility for any injury to my child(ren) or myself, and hereby release Palisades, and its employees, agents, and representatives, from any responsibility.
How can I reserve a lane for lap swimming?
Reservations must be made on the pool website (instructions here). Reservations will become available two days in advance. For example, Monday’s schedule will open at midnight Saturday. Reservations for Tuesday’s schedule will open at midnight Sunday night, and so forth. Only one reservation is permitted per day. As of now, we do not plan to limit the number of times a member unit may come each week.
What times are available for lap swimming?
Saturday 6/20 and Sunday 6/21, six lanes in the main pool and two lanes in the middle pool are available for the lap swimming during the following time slots:
(Closed for cleaning from 11:45-12:30 pm)
(Pool closed for the day)
Is there an Early Bird Swim program?
Due to the extraordinary circumstances we are facing this season, the Board has decided to offer our Early Bird Swim (EBS) program five days a week to all members at no extra charge. Six lanes in the main pool are available, by reservation only, for EBS Monday through Friday for the following time slots:
What if I need to cancel my reservation?
You can cancel your reservation up to one hour prior to the beginning of your time slot. We would ask that members make every effort to cancel reservations that will not be used. Members who fail to show up for their reserved time slot may lose their reservation privileges.
Can I swap my slot with another member?
No, if you cannot make your time slot, you must cancel the reservation. The name on the reservation must match the name of the member who checks in at the front desk. It is imperative that we have a record of which members are at the pool at any given time in case we need to perform contact-tracing.
Can I split a time slot with a member of my family?
Not at this time, as members cannot loiter on the pool deck. We may revisit this decision at a later date.
What if I am late for my time slot?
Members do not have to show up on time. You are free to use only part of your slot and will not lose your time slot if you are late.
Is there a limit to the number of reservations members can make?
Members can reserve one-time slot per day. At this time, there is no limit to the number of reservations a member can make each week. After the first week, we will re-evaluate and, based on demand, may limit the number of slots a member can reserve in one week.
Can my child reserve a lap lane?
Members must be at least 12 years of age to reserve a lap lane. If you have a child younger than 12 who wishes to swim laps, please contact our Swim Team. We set aside times every weekday just for swim team laps for children. Age groups are 8 years old and younger, 9-10-year-olds, 11-12-year-olds, 13-14-year-olds, 15-18-year-olds. Young swimmers must be fairly proficient, able to swim a length of the pool, as coaches will not be in-water assisting swimmers.
Are chairs available?
One chair is provided for each lap lane. Other pool furniture may become available in Phase III.
Are the bathrooms available?
Bathrooms are available but changing areas and showers are closed at this time. You must shower at home before your lap swim session.
Are the drinking fountains available?
No, per MCHHS, drinking fountains are not permitted. Please bring your own water (NO glass containers).
Are kickboards and other equipment available for use?
Members must bring their own water equipment and take it home with them when their time slot is complete.
Is the Cafe open?
The Cafe is not open at this time. We hope to open the Cafe once Phase III begins.
Can my family member(s) and I share a lap line?
No. Only one swimmer is permitted in each lane, per MCHHS directive.
If I reserve a lane, do I have to swim laps?
Aqua Jogging/ water walking, as well as the use of kickboards, are permitted. Members must bring their own equipment.
I joined Palisades so my children could learn to swim. Are swimming lessons available?
Per MCHHS directives for Phase II, private swimming clubs can open for lap swimming only. This may change as we enter Phase III.
What if my time slot is canceled or cut short due to inclement weather?
Accommodations can not be made for the weather. If the pool is closed due to thunderstorms, there will be no time extension on reservation slots.
Last updated: 06/18/20