The Montgomery County Department of Health and Human Services (MCHHS) has authorized a limited re-opening of outdoor pool facilities. In accordance with this directive, the Palisades Pool hopes to open on at reduced capacity to members for open swimming on June 22nd, by reservation only. The Palisades pool, decks, and grounds will be available for use with reduced capacity. Reservations will be available to members for two-hour time slots, beginning at 9:30 am and ending at 7 pm.
Palisades is obligated to follow directives issued by Governor Larry Hogan, the Maryland Department of Health, and the MCHHS. Palisades will be, at all times, in compliance with appropriate directives from our governing authorities. As this guidance changes, Palisades will adjust operations accordingly and reserves the right to close its facilities as necessary.
What are the rules for the limited pool re-opening?
Here are the current rules for our limited pool re-opening, subject to change based on MCHHS directives and guidance:
- Pool access is by reservation only and all reservations must be made through the reservation system on the Palisades web site. By making a reservation, members are agreeing to the Palisades Pledge (see below).
- Only members with reservations are allowed on the pool premises.
- Members will be required to check-in at the front desk before entering Palisades.
- No walk-ups or guests will be permitted.
- Members must be at least 12 years of age to make a reservation.
- Members must exit the pool and premises as soon as their designated time slot is up.
- Members may not swap or otherwise exchange time slots.
- Members must wear a mask while talking with staff and with others who are not household members. Members are encouraged to wear masks while not in the water.
- Members must maintain the CDC guidelines of at least 6 feet from other members and pool staff for healthy physical distancing at all times.
- All members must agree to, and abide by, the Palisades Pledge:
- I agree to use the facility at my own risk.
- I will not visit the pool if I feel sick or have exhibited symptoms of COVID-19 in the past 14 days.
- I will be respectful of Palisades staff and follow their guidance and direction. I will be respectful of other members.
- I will practice physical distancing while at the pool, in the water, on the deck, and on pool grounds, consistent with CDC guidelines.
- I will shower before visiting the pool if entering the water and will leave the Palisades facility and parking lot promptly at the end of my pool time.
- I will not reserve more than one-time slot per day.
- I will respect and follow the guidelines and understand and agree that any violation of these directives may result in loss of membership.
- By entering and using the Palisades facilities, I acknowledge the contagious nature of COVID-19 and voluntarily assume the risk that my child(ren) and I may be exposed to or infected by COVID-19 and I understand that the risk of becoming exposed to or infected by COVID-19 at Palisades may result from the actions, omissions, or negligence of myself and others. I voluntarily agree to assume these risks and accept sole responsibility for any injury to my child(ren) or myself, and hereby release Palisades, and its employees, agents, and representatives, from any responsibility.
What does limited capacity mean?
Initially, Palisades will allow 100 members on the premises for each two-hour reservation slot. We will continue to revisit the permissible capacity in accordance with MCHHS directives and the responsible use of the facilities by members.
Will members need to wear masks and practice physical distancing?
According to current MCHHS restrictions, members must wear a mask while talking with staff and with others who are not household members. Members should not wear a mask while swimming in the pools. Members are encouraged to wear masks while not in the water. Staff will wear masks when working, except while sitting in the lifeguard chairs. Members are required to keep at least a six-foot distance between themselves and others not in their household at all times, including while in the pools.
How do reservations work?
Reservations must be made on the pool website. Instructions on how to make reservations can be found here. Reservations will become available two days in advance. For example, Monday’s schedule will open at 12 am Saturday. Reservations for Tuesday’s schedule will open at 12 am Sunday, and so forth. Only one reservation is permitted per day. As of now, we do not plan to limit the number of times a member unit may come each week.
If you are not going to use your reservation, please cancel it at least one hour prior to your scheduled time so that others may take your slot. Members who fail to show up for their reserved time slot may lose their reservation privileges.
How do I enter the pool?
At the beginning of your reservation period, arrive at the main gate to check-in at the front desk. The name on the reservation must match the name of the member who checks in at the front desk. It is imperative that we have a record of which members are at the pool at any given time in case we need to perform contact-tracing.
What are the pool exit procedures?
Staff will blow the whistle 15 minutes before the end of the two hour reservation period. Members are expected to promptly gather their belongings and exit the pool by the side gate near the ping pong tables. Showers will not be available at the end of the reservation period in order to effectively clear out the pool to clean before the next reservation slot begins. Cleaning staff will clean high-touch areas and guards will prepare for the next set of Palisades members with reservations.
What if I am late for my time slot?
Members do not have to show up on time. You are free to use only part of your slot and will not lose your time slot if you are late.
What are the rules for Locker Rooms and Restrooms?
Palisades will follow MCHHS guidelines with respect to the use of the locker rooms and restrooms. Currently, restrooms and sinks are available for use by members. The changing room areas, storage stalls, and showers are not available. Please shower at home before coming to Palisades if you plan on entering the water. Appropriate social distancing must be maintained at all times in the locker rooms.
Members should enter the mens and womens bathrooms by the entrances closest to the front desk and exit from doors closest to the pool in order to maintain physical distancing. Palisades showers also will be available for use at the start of each reservation slot. However, members may not use the showers at the end of the reservation period in order to effectively clear out the pool to clean before the next reservation slot begins.
Is pool furniture available for use?
Yes, pool chairs, lounge chairs, and picnic tables are available for use, at your own risk. Furniture will be cleaned throughout the day. Please note that the cleaning solution used on furniture may damage swimsuits. Members are welcome to bring their own chairs.
Is there an Early Bird Swim program?
Due to the extraordinary COVID-19 circumstances, the Palisades Board is offering our Early Bird Swim (EBS) program five days a week to all members at no extra charge. Six lap lanes in the main pool will be available by reservation only for EBS Monday through Friday for the following time slots:
Will lap swimming be available during the day?
In addition to EBS, lap swimming will be available during the day. One swimmer per lane, absolutely no exceptions (per MCHHS). No reservations for lap lanes will be available outside of EBS. If another member is waiting to swim laps, please limit yourself to 30 minutes.
Are the drinking fountains available?
No, per MCHHS, drinking fountains are not permitted. Please bring your own water (NO glass containers).
Are kickboards and other equipment available for use?
Members must bring their own water equipment and take it home with them when their time slot is complete.
Will the grills be available?
The grills will not be available for use.
Will the Porpoise Cafe be open?
We expect Market on the Boulevard to begin operations in Phase 3 of the county reopening plan. Additional information will be provided as it becomes available.
Will the Ping Pong Tables be available?
Ping Pong tables are opened for limited play. Members must play with others from their own household and must bring their own equipment.
What about the playground/tetherball/volleyball/water basketball/sports court/foosball?
These amenities will not be available.
What about parties?
Party reservations will not be available.
Is the kiddie pool open?
Per MCHHS directives, the kiddie pool is closed.
Are we allowed to bring guests?
Guests are not currently permitted.
Is Lost and Found available?
There will be no Lost and Found. All left items will be disposed of when the pool closes at the end of the day.
As Palisades members, what are our responsibilities?
As we navigate a season that looks quite different from past years, we ask that members make and commit to the Palisades Pledge to keep ourselves and our wider community safe.
What if my time slot is canceled or cut short due to inclement weather?
Accommodations cannot be made for the weather. If the pool is closed due to thunderstorms, there will be no time extension on reservation slots.
When and how can we expect to hear updates?
Please look for communications from the Palisades Board and check the Palisades website for updates.
When can I pick up my membership cards?
Members may pick up their membership cards from the front desk when they arrive at the pool for their reserved time slot. We ask that members do not visit the pool facilities without a reservation.