Palisades Swim and Tennis Club Limited Re-Opening of Tennis Facilities
The health and safety of our membership is our top priority. The Palisades Board continues to follow the CDC, Governor Larry Hogan, the Maryland Department of Health, and Montgomery County Health Department for related news and guidance.
Following Governor Hogan’s expansion of additional outdoor recreational activities, the Palisades Board has approved a limited re-opening of the Palisades’ tennis courts for play. Palisades will be, at all times, in compliance with appropriate directives from our governing authorities. As this guidance changes, Palisades will adjust operations accordingly and reserves the right to close its facilities as necessary.
In an effort to provide a clear set of expectations for Palisades members, the protocols and procedures for re-opening tennis at Palisades amidst the ongoing concerns relating to COVID-19 are outlined below. These guidelines have been approved by the Palisades Board and are being implemented in an effort to provide a safe and orderly experience for all members and tennis professionals. We expect that members will respect these instructions so that we are able to safely continue our tennis program. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines before visiting Palisades.
Any violation of appropriate physical distancing directives or disregard for established rules will be taken very seriously by Palisades and may result in the loss of membership.
- Play at your own risk.
- Play is for members only. Guests are not permitted.
- Courts are to be used for tennis play only. No other recreational activities are permitted on the Palisades courts. Spectators or gathering of groups are not permitted.
- Please maintain the CDC guidelines of 6 to 10 feet for healthy physical distancing at all times.
- Please take all necessary precautions as recommended by health care professionals.
- Members are encouraged to wear a mask to and from the parking area.
- No restroom facilities will be available; use restroom facilities at home before coming to Palisades.
- No water, food, snack, or other beverage services will be available.
- If you or a member of your immediate household have recently returned from out of state (excluding Virginia and DC), do not visit Palisades until your self-quarantine is over.
- If you or a member of your immediate household feel unwell for any reason or are experiencing any symptoms of COVID-19, please self-quarantine, seek appropriate medical advice, and do not visit Palisades.
Tennis Court Reservations:
- Reservations are required. Walk-ups will not be permitted to play.
- Members may reserve a court utilizing the Palisades website up to 4 days in advance.
- Members may only reserve 1 hour of court time on any given day.
Rules of Play:
- Singles play is recommended in order to maintain wide separation of players. Doubles play is allowed but must be conducted in such a manner as to keep the recommended distance between players.
- Each individual player/household must ensure that they play only with their own set of tennis balls, either by marking their tennis balls with a Sharpie, or using a different number or make of tennis ball.
- Players must use their own equipment during play.
- The court dividers must remain closed at all times.
- No Palisades team play is permitted.
- No one under 18 may play without a supervising adult.
- Players must practice appropriate social distancing during play; do not shake hands or high five.
- Players are required to change ends at opposite sides of the net post.
- Use your racquet, not your hands, to direct balls to the appropriate player, or back to players on other courts.
- Benches, water coolers, and on-court trash cans will not be available.
- Do not place towels/other personal belongings on the net or net post.
- You must remove all trash and take it off of the premises with you.
- When your reservation has concluded, exit the tennis facility immediately.
- No cleaning supplies will be available on site. Members may bring their own cleaning supplies to use before and after they play.
- The Palisades backboard is limited to persons in the same household on a first come, first serve basis. Members are limited to 20 minutes if other members are waiting.
- No more than four members may be on a court for lessons/small clinics and only with a tennis professional.
In addition to the rules for play outlined above, the USTA has developed player tips and recommendations for playing tennis safely during the COVID-19 pandemic. A link to that guidance can be found here:
USTA has also created a one page Player Tips and Recommendation Guide for Playing Tennis Safely. Click the link to review USTA-COVID19-PlayingTennisSafely-Flyer.